Loaded Bacon and Cheddar Baked Potato Soup

The other week at Safeway I couldn’t pass up a 10-pound bag of potatoes that was on sale for $3.  In a land where a half-gallon of milk can cost you $5, it was pretty much the deal of the century.  Nevermind the fact that I’m generally unable to use a 5-pound bag of potatoes before they start to spoil: I was blinded by the savings.

If I wanted to avoid throwing a good portion of these into my compost, I knew I had to do something drastic.  You know, like making enough baked potato soup to last me a week or two.  Luckily I’m a huge fan of leftovers.  Especially when it’s a thick, rich, and creamy soup with the taste of your favorite loaded baked potato.  Bacon and cheddar and sour cream, oh my.

Loaded Bacon and Cheddar Baked Potato Soup

Yield: 8-10 servings

* 8 large baked potatoes
* 12 slices bacon
* 2 onions, finely chopped
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/2 cup (8 Tablespoons) butter, cut into 8 pieces
* 4 cups chicken broth
* 4 cups whole milk (can also substitute cream or half-and-half for up to two cups of the milk for an even richer soup)
* 2 cups cheddar cheese, plus extra for topping
* salt and pepper
* 1 teaspoon cayenne
* 2 Tablespoons cornstarch (I like my soups VERY thick so I double this... but start off with 2 Tablespoons... you can always add more)
* 1/2 cup chopped green onions
* 1 pound container sour cream

Dice four of the baked potatoes into small, bite size pieces, skins and all. For the remaining four potatoes, scoop out the flesh and mash until smooth. Discard skins of these potatoes.

In a large soup or stock pot, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and let cool slightly. Crumble into small pieces when cool enough to handle.

Add the chopped onion and garlic to the rendered bacon grease. Cook over medium heat until softened. Add the butter and stir until melted. Add the chicken broth, milk, diced potatoes and mashed potatoes and stir to combine. Heat soup thoroughly, but do not boil. Add the cheese and stir to melt. Add salt and pepper to taste as well as they cayenne.

Place the cornstarch in a small bowl and combine with equal amount of water to create a slurry. Add to the soup and cook, stirring constantly, until thick.

Ladle soup into individual bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream, the reserved crumbled bacon, extra cheese (if desired) and green onions.

39 Responses to “Loaded Bacon and Cheddar Baked Potato Soup”

Encore — November 8, 2011 at 10:34 pm

This looks fantastic! The wife and I have been in denial for a long time on the gluten sensitivities (I'm still in denial :)), but I'm so happy that I stumbled upon your site. Everything looks great and I look forward to snagging more delicious things to cook!

CATE — November 9, 2011 at 5:20 am

Thanks for the nice compliments :) I suppose that's the good thing about the celiac diagnosis… from that point forward things are very black and white. I'm sure if I was just “sensitive” I'd be cheating all time!

Christin — November 9, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I'm so glad I found this recipe. Baked Potato Soup is my daughter's favorite.

Anonymous — November 9, 2011 at 11:29 pm

doing this tonight!~!!

Amanda — November 11, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Mmmm this look so delicious! All of my favourite things in one meal! Check out my bacon, bacon, bacon contest for your chance to win skillet bacon jam… tastes even better than it sounds! http://bit.ly/rv1NWS

Anonymous — November 13, 2011 at 12:28 am

Just put this on my list of things to make when everyone is home for the holidays- Can't wait to try it!

Tonirose — November 13, 2011 at 2:35 am

Looks so good!

The Dinner Belle for Kimberlybelle.com — November 14, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I love potatoes and all the condiments with potatoes! I might have to use those extra potato skins to make loaded potato skins–too much as a side dish for the loaded baked potato soup?! ;)

The Dinner Belle for Kimberlybelle.com

Anonymous — November 16, 2011 at 2:35 am

OMG — This sounds AWESOME!!

Donna — November 26, 2011 at 6:53 am

Wow! That was delicious. I made it in a smaller batch, and made a few “health” changes. Still totally yummy. Thanks for sharing.

Smash — December 8, 2011 at 12:28 am

Mine wont look as good as urz but I sure hope it taste good lol Thanks for the recipe.. UR THE BEST

CATE — December 8, 2011 at 3:51 am

Donna- so glad you liked it, even in a healthier version :)

Smash- it's easy to make it look pretty with all the toppings- I'm sure yours will look great!

Anonymous — January 2, 2012 at 4:00 am

the recipe neglects to mention when to add the green onions, bacon and sour cream…

is the sour cream supposed to be a garnish only? and i'm assuming the green onions actually go in since you specified “plus extra for topping”

nonetheless looks awesome, i'll just wing it this time, and check back to see if you've fixed it for next time.

CATE — January 2, 2012 at 5:16 am

Oops- thanks Anon. Yep, just use the reserved bacon (from the beginning of the recipe from when you render the fat for frying up the onion and garlic), sour cream, and green onions as garnish. If you're feeling really indulgent you can also add extra cheese :)

Thanks for the catch!

Anonymous — January 14, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I want to make this today but i don't have any cornstartch do you have to use it?

• CATE — January 14th, 2012 @ 7:41 pm

You don't ~need~ the cornstarch, but it's a nice thickener to use. Feel free to substitute (although it might be in a different quantity) other thickeners such as potato starch, arrowroot, tapioca starch, etc. Or if you don't need to be gluten-free, regular flour is also an option.

Hope you like it :)

• Anonymous — January 14th, 2012 @ 8:47 pm

Thanks i'll try that!

• Rosi from Toledo — February 24th, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

To thicken any soup that has potatoes in, I use instant potatoes…works every time and has a good taste.

• CATE — February 25th, 2012 @ 11:24 am

Rosi- sounds like a really good(and gluten-free!) suggestion… thanks for the comment :)

Anonymous — May 8, 2012 at 4:04 am

i really cant stand sour cream is it nessisary to include?

• CATE — May 8th, 2012 @ 5:18 am

Nope- not necessary at all. Just use whatever topping you like (cheese, bacon, green onions, etc.).

Nora — July 4, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Love baked potatoes and this looks really easy to make and loaded is always best!! Thanks so much for sharing!

sathsara — August 10, 2012 at 8:29 am

this is grade work. i like this. i have also a food recipe site. that about sri lankan food

Anonymous — September 11, 2012 at 3:47 pm

do you boil all the potatoes first?

• CATE — September 12th, 2012 @ 4:56 am

You can boil them if you prefer, but I usually start with (pre-) baked potatoes.

Anonymous — September 23, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Is the soup freezable?

• CATE — September 24th, 2012 @ 3:08 am

I've never frozen it (it always gets eaten very quickly :), but I've read that you can freeze baked potato soups. The caveat is that the texture might suffer a bit from doing so.

Mary — December 28, 2012 at 10:46 am

So are these raw potatoes we are using? Or baked potatoes? just wondering! Thanks

Christina — March 24, 2013 at 9:56 am

This was quite yummy, it was like a loaded baked potato in soup form. Its going to be the new potato soup in our house, sorry grandma. I’m making the cabbage soup tonight, as I’ve made three delicious things out of 3 and I’m going tonight for my fourth. Going to have to check out more of your desserts too.

• Cate — March 24th, 2013 @ 2:43 pm

Yay! So glad you liked the soup :) Thanks so much for commenting to let me know you enjoyed it.

Desiree Morris — April 8, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I made this in the crock pot today. SO delicious! Thanks for sharing.

• Cate — April 8th, 2013 @ 9:38 pm

So glad you liked it Desiree! Thanks for taking the time to let me know you liked it :)

LostFairyLuna — October 18, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I just made this soup tonight and it was absolutely wonderful. My husband and I love baked potato soup .I made one change however, since I like my soup creamy I I blended all the ingredients after adding the potatoes. I found this gave the soup a very thick consistency and I didn’t even need the cornstarch. Will definitely be making this again!!!

• Cate — October 18th, 2013 @ 10:10 pm

So so glad you liked it!

Angi — November 22, 2013 at 2:31 pm

All day long, I’ve been looking at the dreary weather and thinking soup. I finally decided on potato soup, which I just developed a taste for recently. I thought this recipe was amazing. Next time I’m adding some mushrooms and more cheese. This was great, thank you!

• Cate — November 23rd, 2013 @ 5:57 pm

So glad you liked it Angi! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment to let me know.

Lola — December 7, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Just made this..part heavy cream/milk. My husband raved!

Elmo — December 15, 2013 at 10:45 am

Getting ready to make this, wish me luck! might try the blending idea. Wish I hadn’t used all my mushrooms on spaghetti

mary — February 5, 2015 at 6:56 am

Can this soup be made two days ahead and reheated?