Kraft Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese

As much as I love gourmet mac and cheese made from artisanal cheeses, the stuff from the blue box will always be my sentimental favorite.  I recently had a little birthday dinner for my niece and used the occasion as an excuse to make some Kraft-style Mac and Cheese (never mind the fact that at not-quite four years old she’s got a more refined palate than I had when I was in college).

Cheese Powder

Making a large quantity of the stuff can be humbug and expensive (those boxes are pretty much single servings, amiright?), but it recently became known to me that you can buy the cheese powder in bulk. In BULK, people.  Why has it taken me so long to learn this?  In the event that some of you out there are similarly in the dark, I thought I’d do a quick post to clue in any interested parties.

Kraft Cheese Powder

You can buy various brands of dried cheese powder from Amazon (they even sell organic varieties) or the Kraft stuff from the Firehouse Pantry (they sell both the white variety as well as the neon-ish orange variety).  Having the cheese powder in bulk seems strangely liberating: not only can I  add it to my favorite gluten-free pastas in any size or shape, but I’m able to make it as cheesy as I want.

This is probably one of the most random posts here on Girl Cooks World, but I consider it something of a Public Service Announcement.  Thanks for your attention and you can now go back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Kraft Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese 2

8 Responses to “How to Make Kraft-Style Mac and Cheese for a Crowd: Buy Dried Cheese Powder in Bulk”

Sarah — July 5, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Great! Very good way to make your own. You can also use the cheese powder on popcorn, etc.

• Cate — July 6th, 2013 @ 10:41 am

Good call! The white cheddar one definitely smelled a lot like Smartfood popcorn :)

Emily K. @ Leaf Parade — July 6, 2013 at 1:29 am

I love that this post exists! I love all the fancy artisanal cheeses myself, but there is something just so incredibly nostalgic about the orange Kraft stuff. Dried cheese powder in bulk sounds like a game changer!
    -Emily K.

• Cate — July 6th, 2013 @ 10:45 am

Agreed. I say there’s plenty of love to go around for all the cheeses (or even “cheeses”) out there. It’s kind of like chocolate- I love the fancy stuff, but I occasionally love the bargain drug store stuff too!

Liz — July 6, 2013 at 2:40 am

Looks interesting. So how do you turn the cheese powder into mac ‘n cheese?

• Cate — July 6th, 2013 @ 10:40 am

Same way as the boxed stuff. Just boil up whatever pasta you want to use, add cheese powder, butter and a splash of milk to taste!

Joshua — November 22, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Good call on buying the bulk powder.
    But what if I’m too impatient to wait for shipping :-) Do you know of any local stores that carry the cheese powder?

• Cate — November 23rd, 2013 @ 6:00 pm

Eek. I’m not sure if they do. I’ve never looked for it at health food stores in their bulk section, but they may stock some (maybe not the bright orange version though?). Let me know if you find some. Good luck!