I don’t know about you but I try to stuff myself with as much watermelon as I can each summer. Over the past couple years I’ve finally started using it as an ingredient… my favorites being watermelon lemonade and watermelon and feta salad. But this salad beats them all.
Chock full of summer produce, this colorful salad will give you a healthy dose of fruits and veggies with watermelon, tomatoes, cucumber and avocado. I was happy to find these gorgeous tomatoes from Kahuku’s Ho Farms; they made the salad even prettier.
Just one final note: the salad does soak up a lot of the brown color of the balsamic so bring it to the table without the oil and vinegar and add them just before serving if you’d like to show off the salad’s pretty colors.
Tomato and Watermelon Salad
* 12 oz small cherry tomatoes, halved, quartered or roughly chopped (a little over 2 cups chopped tomatoes)
* 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2"- 3/4" cubes
* 1 cup chopped, seeded watermelon, cut into 1/2"- 3/4" cubes
* 1 avocado, cut into 1/2"- 3/4" cubes
* 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
* 1 Tablespoon of any of the following chopped fresh herb(s): basil, mint, cilantro (I used a mixture of basil and mint)
* 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
* 3 Tablespoons olive oil
* 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
* salt and pepper to taste
In a large bowl combine the tomatoes, cucumber, watermelon, avocado, herbs and coriander.
Just before serving combine the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and whisk to combine. Pour over the tomato mixture and add salt and pepper to taste. Be sure to add enough salt to make the flavors pop.