I know it’s not even August yet, but I feel like summer is passing me by. Around here, kids start school next week… is that crazy or what? In my day, we got out of school in the middle of June and didn’t go back until after Labor Day.
I’ve been working too much lately, but I’m going to do my best to make the most of these next few weeks. And so my to-do list looks something like this:
- Take a couple day trips to the North Shore- hit up Waimea, do some snorkeling, get some shave ice.. all that good stuff.
- Get out on the water to take advantage of all of these summer swells.
- Eat (or drink!) as much summer fruit as I can.
I think those are some pretty good goals, don’t you?
I’m already making good on #3. Watermelon has been a staple around here lately. When I saw a recipe for watermelon mojitos, I knew I had to try it. The Mexican mojito from two weeks ago was so good, I figured adding some fresh fruit could only make it better. I was right. It’s light and refreshing with a pretty pink hue to boot. But be careful- it goes down nice and easy but packs quite a punch.
Watermelon and Tequila Mojito
Yield: 1 serving
* 10 mint leaves
* 1/2 of a lime, cut into three wedges
* 2- 3 teaspoons sugar, depending on how sweet you like your drink
* 3 Tablespoons white or silver tequila
* ice cubes
* about 1/2 cup seedless watermelon, blended until liquidized and smooth
* splash of lemon-lime soda or sparkling water
* mint sprig and a slice of lime for garnish (optional)
In a glass, muddle the mint, lime wedges and sugar (I use a wooden spoon). Add the tequila and stir to mix and dissolve the sugar. Add ice, the watermelon juice and the soda or sparkling water. Garnish with a slice of lime and mint leaves, if desired.
Adapted from Antojitos: Festive and Flavorful Mexican Appetizers