How To Save a Botched Batch of Grainy Fudge

Bad batches of fudge happen to everybody.  At least that’s what I tell myself.  I’ve made enough successful batches now that I sometime get a little bit cocky and try to take a shortcut or two.  Yeah, never a good idea.

You can probably tell from the photos above that this batch of fudge became one grainy mess.  I don’t like wasting calories on mediocre candy.  I’m also too cheap to throw a bad batch away.  The solution?  A fudge do-over.

Even though it set up properly, I threw it back into a saucepan with about 1 1/2 cups of water and gently heated the mixture to dissolve the fudge into the water.

From there, I pretty much re-did the whole cooking process.  Here are the basic steps:

1. Heat the mixture gently to ensure the sugar has melted;
  2. Wash down the sugar crystals on the side of the pan;
  3. Boil to the mixture until it reaches the soft ball stage (without stirring!);
  4. Let cool until the mixture reaches about 110 degrees; and
  5. Beat with a wooden spoon until set.

Aahhhh… doesn’t that look better?  Although the color of the fudge slightly darkened, the flavor was unaffected.  Unlike the first batch, it was smooth, creamy, and set up just right.

Next time, I’ll try to be more careful.  But the opportunity for a second chance?  Always a good thing.  At least when it comes to candy-making.

12 Responses to “How To Save a Botched Batch of Grainy Fudge”

sleepinghorse — December 9, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Nice save. I haven't made fudge for years but your pictures are tempting me to try it again soon.

CATE — December 12, 2011 at 2:50 am

If you're looking for something easy to lure you back in, I also just made this peppermint chocolate fudge- http://allrecipes.com/recipe/peppermint-chocolate-fudge/detail.aspx. So so easy and really good!

Tora — December 16, 2011 at 11:27 am

aaaw. I threw out my bad batch a couple of weeks ago. I felt I could've saved it somehow, but I was a little disheartened, so I didn't google it.

Thank you for this, I know how to save it now, should it ever happen again!

Yours turned out beautiful!

sleepinghorse — December 29, 2011 at 10:37 am

Thanks for the peppermint chocolate fudge recipe.

Daniela Padilla — September 18, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I made a batch and it just won't set :( I tried chilling it but no go. Got any tricks to help me salvage it? Thanks!

• CATE — September 18th, 2012 @ 5:26 pm

Hi Daniela,

I'm guessing that it didn't get to a high enough temperature. When it comes to candy-making, be sure have a candy thermometer…. before I had one I could never really make fudge properly. You might want to try the technique above… it was for grain fudge, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for other not-quite-right batches as well. Good luck!

Tenna — November 18, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I’ve attempted to make fudge twice and after my second batch didn’t set, I was about to give up. I decided to google “what to do when your fudge doesn’t set”. I found your answer and all I can say is thank you so very much for helping me rescue my fudge! Following your steps carefully I made a pretty decent batch of fudge and am looking forward to making more. Thank you again for posting this fix it page.

• Cate — November 20th, 2013 @ 9:18 pm

Great! So glad it helped you Tenna :)

Cherie — December 20, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Thank you for this fudge fix! It’s not often that I end up with a batch that didn’t set up, but it happens (and it’s then used for ice cream topping…. or just licked off the spoon lol)- this was for sure a “save”! I only used 1/2 cup of water and let it go through the entire cook stage again (not quite as long, just until it started to cook down a bit)… waited until it cooled somewhat and then began beating – it turned creamy and set up perfect! No more “botched batches” – yay!
    Oh, and it also works well for hard tack candy (rebatching) Bless you!
    [actually, what I really liked about doing it this way was that the end result was a smaller pour on the plate, making it thicker]

• Cate — December 22nd, 2013 @ 3:41 pm

So glad you found it helpful Cherie!

Allison — October 31, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Any tips on doubling batches? Single batch is great. Double = grainy.

genesis — April 2, 2015 at 10:03 am

Hey I accidentally added to much water and it’s been boiling forever any tips?