Broiled Grapefruit with Ginger and Brown Sugar

On occasion I feel like things get too complicated around here: recipes with too many steps, too many ingredients, etc.  So I’m bringing simple back, with a simple broiled grapefruit with the zing of fresh ginger and brown sugar for extra sweetness.

The broiling has the surprising effect of making the grapefruit even juicier and the brown sugar turns into a delightfully sweet syrup that seeps into each and every grapefruit segment.

It’s a fun twist to an otherwise simple breakfast.  My favorite part?  The leftover puddle of sweetened ginger grapefruit juice.  I think I know exactly what to make when my juicer finally arrives.

Broiled Grapefruit with Ginger and Brown Sugar

Ingredients:

* grapefruits, halved and cut into segments with a grapefruit or regular knife
* brown sugar for sprinkling, about 2-3 Tablespoons per grapefruit
* peeled fresh ginger

Directions:

Preheat your broiler and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup.

Place the grapefruit halves on the parchment paper and sprinkle with brown sugar. Use a Microplane zester to grate the ginger on top of the grapefruits.

Place in the oven and broil until the sugar has melted into a nice syrup and the tops are just beginning to brown.

Remove from oven. Serve warm or let cool to room temperature.

9 Responses to “Broiled Grapefruit with Ginger and Brown Sugar”

Brittany — March 30, 2012 at 12:08 am

Wow this post took me back; I haven't had broiled grapefruit in SO long… The fresh ginger sounds like an amazing addition! Can't wait to try this!!

• CATE — March 30th, 2012 @ 7:26 am

I always saw recipes for broiled grapefruit but it never really appealed to me… until I decided to pair it with ginger. Ginger has a magical way of making everything better! Anyways, hope you like it :)

Anonymous — March 30, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Can you tell me where you bought the bowl? I love the recipe, but the bowl is LOVELY!

• CATE — March 31st, 2012 @ 5:18 am

Thanks! I bought the bowl (and several others which you can see in the fish and furikake bowl post) at a Japanese store/market called Marukai Wholesale Mart. I don't think they sell anything online, but they do have stores in California.

If you're not in either Hawaii or California your best bet for something similar would be to check out any Japanese store nearby. In Honolulu we have another Japanese store/market (Don Quijote) that carries bowls/pottery that's very similar.

• Linda — April 2nd, 2012 @ 12:26 am

yes, great bowls!! I have some similar and purchased them a couple of years ago at Anthroplogie. just fyi.

Anonymous — March 30, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Made this for a mid morning snack yesterday and loved it! Had never “broiled” grapefruit before but definitely give it a thumbs up!

• CATE — March 31st, 2012 @ 5:13 am

So glad you liked it!

Anonymous — April 8, 2012 at 5:49 am

What's the ETA on broiling the grapefruit and does it matter if it's “high” or “low” broil?

• CATE — April 9th, 2012 @ 3:45 am

The time is something of a matter or preference, but I'd say the range would probably be about 3-4 minutes… and I'm sure either high or low broil would be fine. I'd probably just recommend using whichever setting you normally use and are comfortable with. But as with anything you make under a broiler… keep an eye on it since things can go from good to ruined in no time :)